House Reef 28 July 2010

A few weeks ago, Dietmar and I walked around the island and found a tiny fish floating close to the shore. At first, we both thought it was a leaf, but on closer inspection, we could see that it was a wee brown fish.
Juvenile Plectorhinchus gibbosus - Brown Sweetlip
.... or little brown fish :)

Dietmar and I thought it was some sort of a cod, with that long shaped forehead, Nozaki reckoned it was something else, although she couldn't tell us what, so I asked Ali again. She works and is friends with Gerry Allen, he of the many fish ID books, and ended up asking him. I expect that Gerry didn't even need to consult one of his books, he probably said without hesitation "oh, that, of course that's a juvenile Plectorhinchus gibbosus!!"


Not a great shot, but it gives you an idea of the size
of the fish next to my size 8 foot.

No comments:

Post a Comment